Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Animal Testing Company - Professional Laboratory and Research Services - in Corapeake, North Carolina Shut Down After Video of Cruelty Released
One win in a huge battle.
Of course, this is only one lab in a huge network that carries out the exact same cruelty day to day. It’s horrible to imagine just how many dogs, etc. are tortured daily and no one bears witness.
Lab shuts down after animal rights video released - September 16, 2010
A private laboratory involved in animal testing has halted research and will hand over its animals, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced yesterday (AP).
The shutdown comes after the animal rights organization, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), released an undercover video showing how animals were treated at Professional Laboratory and Research Services, based in Corapeake, North Carolina. According to PETA, the company had contracts from several major pharmaceutical companies to test products on animals.
The video shows laboratory employees discussing the use of sedatives that expired in 2007. “Maybe that’s why it doesn’t work,” says a voice on the video, shortly before the scene cuts to a dog twitching as its teeth are pulled with a pair of pliers. In another clip, one employee counsels another not to bother reporting a dog’s sores to the veterinarian. “If you have ten dogs that have the same problem, it’s not a problem,” she says. “It’s a living condition here.”
The USDA reportedly inspected the lab last week, and has launched a formal investigation. Officials are now trying to find new homes for about 200 animals.
- ► 2013 (77)
- ► 2012 (44)
- ► 2011 (117)
- Photos from Nikon's “Small World Photomicrography ...
- Animal Testing Company - Professional Laboratory a...
- U.S. Senator States that Re-Banning Animal Crush V...
- Video Acts as Undeniable Proof: Baby Elephants Tie...
- European Union Bans Animal Testing Using Great Ape...
- Two National Groups Challenge the EPA in their Pro...
- Artist Amy Grace Draws Attention to the Cruelty of...
- Yes, People Hunt Alligators: Animal Rights Foundat...
- Annual Cruel Dolphin Slaughter Begins in Taiji, Ja...
- ▼ September (9)
- ► 2009 (55)
- ► 2008 (94)
- ► 2007 (233)
- ► 2006 (726)